We’re coming up on our second Winter here and while we had a heater last winter we noticed a lot of flickering lights on one of the walls and the breaker kept tripping. We were pretty certain it was our small space heater causing the problems. Our temporary fix was just not running the stove or extra lights when we were using the heater and making sure our lap tops were plugged into different walls and not all running off the same breaker.
During this past Spring and Summer it didn’t really affect us. Once the Fall hit though we started reassessing how much electricity we were using and at about that same time we started hearing crackling sounds coming from the open closet that the electrical panel is in. Not good. We couldn’t tell at first exactly where the sound was coming from until one afternoon the resounding loud CRACKLE-POP was definitely coming from the electrical panel. *sigh* We unplugged everything and went looking for an electrician.
Our real estate agent who sold us the house has since retired but we went to his old office and introduced ourselves to one of the real estate agents there explaining who we were and that we were in need of a referral for an electrician. I shared with Sean that I felt this was our best bet over any yelp type referral sites as most of those sites just feel like people bitching. When I worked with real estate agents they were always big on working with solid people because solid workmanship reflects well on everyone involved. Good work = good business. I was hopeful that it would be the same here and I was correct.
The electrician had to order in a new panel for us and he confirmed that it was indeed the space heater that had started this whole thing. He talked about brands of panels and that of all the panels he’s worked with ours and another brand always had these issues of getting shorted out and burnt and fused – a basic mess potential that unsurprisingly manifests on a regular basis. I don’t know what we had before but we now have a SQUARE D electrical panel – WOO!!!
I asked if there was anything we should look out for or be aware of and I also asked if we could use the heater without causing the same issue as last year. We were good to go on all accounts and there was nothing special I needed to keep an eye out on. I mean if lights flicker again or any of the other symptoms we experienced pop up – sure check it out but the bottom line is that with the new panel there shouldn’t be any more shenanigans going on. GOOD.
Having the repairs completed is an immense relief. No more worry on the electrical home front. We had been wanting to get all that checked out and now that’s one thing off the Get It Done list.
The electrical panel issue was all wrapped up Friday. Come Saturday night early Sunday morning at around 2 a.m. the house got seriously bumped by the wind/rain storm that has been moving into the region. We were just getting ready to go up the ladder to bed when we heard a loud gushing sound from outside. Quick inspection showed that the connector between our hose and the water pipe to the docks had busted. With the wind, rain and the dark I was afraid to have Sean fuss with it so he turned off our water and we called it a night.
This morning we could see things better but neither of us are plumbers and while some things can be an easy fix we weren’t 100% on how much was needed to fix this. We called the resident handy man here and he ended up having to pull up a few boards since the pipe was mounted too far against the board underneath and he needed room to put the new elbow connector on. Looks like we needed a few brackets to add into the mix as well for securing the pipe. It would have been total hi-jinx for us fumbling through discovering we’d have to pull up boards so I’m glad our guy Mike was here to make it right. Now if this happens again we will know what to do. I’ve been pretty diligent with taking photos and asking questions about the process (but not getting in the way of course
The large planter box I have out there was sitting on top of the boards that were pulled up. I’m considering leaving the planter in the new spot it was placed in so we can get to the water pipe/hose again if need be. The smaller plants were also moved to the front of the house under our living room window. I’m thinking about leaving them there too. I may just leave everything for now and see how I feel about it in a few days.
The boards underneath are a bit worn (rotted, tore up from the floor up) to say the least and for now they’ll hold. Will seriously need to take a look at that come spring when the winter has blown over. One of the remaining things on our Get It Done list. A lot of what contributed to the pipe disconnecting like it did aside from the the major bump into the dock was that the pipe was not properly secured. From the little that he was able to see previously Sean had tried securing it a bit with some wire as the weight alone made it dip quite a bit. That won’t be an issue going forward as we’re having plumbing straps installed.
Slowly and surely we are discovering and working on the things that pop up giving this little house some love <3
(Ok the large planter was moved back. LOL)